Thursday, October 9, 2014

Update from Boston- Waiting to Qualify

Hello from Boston! Vic and I are in the airport and I'm updating from my phone so this will be brief. Thank you all for the prayers and support. I cannot tell you how special the 5K event was to us- what an amazing send-off! It deserves it's own blog post, so I'll write about that experience soon.

As Emily wrote on Monday, we were THRILLED to receive the call that a trial spot has opened. This trial involved a PD1 and anti-KIR drug, and though it's only in phase 1 trials, my doctors are excited about the response patients are having. We are so thankful to God for this answered prayer.

We arrived in Boston early yesterday to complete the screening process to determine eligibility for the trial. I did bloodwork, chest x-ray, EKG, another brain MRI and CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis. In order for me to qualify for this trial I'll need the brain scan to be clear (again) and the tumor in my lungs that was previously biopsied to measure 10mm by 10mm. It was nearly that size two months ago, so my doctor feels I will meet these qualifications. We should know soon!

Assuming I qualify, they have scheduled my first treatment for next Friday at noon. It should take a few hours for the injection, so they told us to plan to be there all day. I will fly to Boston every other week for treatment, and once a week for monitoring during my first month.

Again, we could not walk through this without the amazing support of all of you praying and helping us. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!! God bless you! Emily or I will post an update when we get the news of my scans.

For now, we are ready to board this plane and get back to our girls whom we miss more than words can say. HUGE thank you to our parents who have kept our babies safe and happy MANY nights since my diagnosis. Madeleine and Charlotte have adjusted amazingly well to our new "normal." God has been so kind to us. I couldn't do this trial and travel if I thought for one second my girls wouldn't be well cared for. Thank you Lord for grandparents! Being away from the kids has been the hardest part of this ordeal, but God has given us grace and strength to deal with our heartache. We are relieved to at least have some sort of schedule to follow, and we can finally get settled in Starkville.

We are encouraged, hopeful and thankful. Thank you for walking through this with us. We are truly humbled by your kindness.

All of our love and thanks,
Vic and Meredith

No comments:

Post a Comment